Facts about diamonds that will suprise you
What are Some Amazing Diamond Facts?
Here are some amazing facts about the most magnificent and precious stone on earth: the diamond:
- The name “diamond” is derived from the greek word “adamas”, meaning indestructible and perennial.
- Eighty percent of the world’s diamonds are not even suitable for jewelry.
- Ancient Greeks believed that diamonds were fragments of stars that had fallen to earth.
- Diamonds are the single hardest natural substance found on earth.
- The U.S. purchases more than half of the world’s gem quality diamonds.
- Scientists have actually discovered a planet which orbits a star in the Milky Way that is believed to be mostly carbon and one third pure diamond!
Other Cool Diamond Facts
- The highest record price anyone ever paid for a diamond is over $35 million.
- The word diamond comes from the Greek word “adamas,” which means invincible or indestructible.
- The tradition of giving a diamond engagement ring dates back to the year 1477 when Archduke Maximilian of Austria gave a diamond ring to Mary of Burgundy.
- Diamonds are tough, but they can still be burned at 290-1650 degrees Fahrenheit.
Read our entire diamond glossary here.