What do different gemstones mean?
While some gemstones have been deeply rooted in myths and legends throughout human history, others have only been recently discovered. Regardless, all these precious and non-precious stones possess unique beauty and significant meaning. In fact, many gemstones are thought to hold special powers and bring about certain fortune for those who wear them.
This is a list gemstones and the meaning behind each one.
- Ruby is traditionally red and is symbolic of courage, life force, and passion.
- Amethyst is a myriad of colors with purple predominantly and is renowned for protection, cleansing, and healing.
- Emerald is known for its rich green variations and is associated with love, rebirth, and fertility.
- Alexandrite is typically purple, green, and blue and stands for intuition, creativity, and imagination.
- Tourmaline comes in several colors and is symbolic of joy, love, and emotional healing.
- Garnet is found in many colors, but perhaps is most popular in orange and brown. It is said to promote healing and provide protection from nightmares and accidents away from home.
- Peridot is the only gemstone available in just one color, green. It’s no surprise that it symbolizes creation and is believed to promote healing powers and instill power.
- Spinel is red, pink, orange, or purple and is believed to protect from harm, reconcile differences, and ease depression.
- Lapis Lazuli is a sparkling blue gem that has been considered a powerful aphrodisiac and is believed to keep limbs healthy and free the soul from envy, error, and fear.
- Citrine ranges from bright yellow to a orange-brown. It was long thought to protect from evil thoughts and snake venom and is associated with prosperity and success.
- Zircon is most commonly found in a sky blue color. It’s said to help make ideas happen, promote honor and prosperity in its wearer, and help with sleep.
- Paraiba Tourmaline features shades of electric greens and blues and is believed to aid in communication and helps one get in touch with inner truths.
- Topaz comes in many colors but is most renowned for its yellow-gold and amber variations. Meanings behind topaz include magnification, clarity, and manifestation.
- Moonstone comes in a variety of colors with translucent effects, but the best Moonstone features a blue sheen and colorless body. This mysterious stone is symbolic for intuition, inner work, and patience.
- Diamond is most popular in its colorless variety, but is also found in colors and it stands for purpose, initiation, and clarity.
- Tanzanite is velvety-blue with deep purple undertones and stands for the integration of heart and mind, and wholeness.
- Opal is truly a matrix of every color of the rainbow and is said to help the release of attachments and emotional amplification.
- Sapphire is found in nearly every color, but is famous for the blue varieties and it symbolizes honesty, purity, and trust
- Rubellite is a pink and ruby-red combination and its meaning is balance, life energy, and tranquility.
- Morganite is found in various shades of pink and is not surprisingly a symbol of divine love, healing, and prosperity.
- Pearl is best known for its creamy white variety, but can be found in other colors as well and stands for self-care, nurturing, and healing.
- Turquoise is famous for its bright blue color and is said to promote healing powers, wealth, and good luck.
- Aquamarine is a stunning pastel blue and is associated with youth, health, and fidelity.