Diamond Idioms and Phrases
6 February 2019 / Blog
What are Some Popular Diamond Phrases and Quotes?
The most popular are a diamond in the rough, diamonds are a girl’s best friend and diamonds are forever.
Due to their unique properties and stunning beauty, diamonds have captivated the public imagination– and infiltrated our language with many well-used phrases and quotes. Here are a few of the most famous diamond-related sayings:
- A diamond in the rough: This refers to a decent person who lacks traditional manners, style, or social skills.
- Diamonds are a girl’s best friend: a phrase first written for Broadway and later popularized to an enormous extent through none other than Marilyn Monroe in the movie Gentlemen Prefer Blondes.
- A diamond is forever. One of the most effective marketing campaigns for diamonds centered around this phrase, which signified the indestructibility of diamonds and the eternal nature of true love.
Other Popular Diamond Quotes
- “All is beautiful and unceasing, all is music and reason, and all, like diamond, is carbon first, then light.” -Jose Marti
- “A diamond is just a lump of coal that stuck to its job.” -Leonardo da Vinci
- “Diamonds are to be found only in the darkness of the earth, and truth in the darkness of the mind.” -Victor Hugo
- “Better a diamond with a flaw than a pebble without.” -Confucius
- “This diamond has so many carats it’s almost a turnip.” -Richard Burton
- “Rough diamonds may sometimes be mistaken for worthless pebbles.” -Thomas Browne