5 Interesting Scientific Facts About Diamonds
4 August 2017 / Blog
There’s no doubt that diamonds are beautiful, but they are also interesting. Scientific fascination of diamonds is nearly as long lived as aesthetic fascination. Here are a few interesting science-based diamond facts.
- Diamonds are carbon in the most concentrated form.
- According to the most reliable scales, diamonds are the hardest natural substance in existence.
- The strength of diamonds is due to a strong covalent bond between carbon atoms in a rigid lattice structure.
- Diamonds are formed by high pressure and temperatures on a carbon source usually deep underground.
- Small imperfections of other elements present in diamonds can result in a beautiful range of colors like purple, blue, yellow and black.