5 Interesting Facts About the History of Diamonds
14 March 2017 / Blog
Diamonds are a fascinating aspect of world wide culture, but how did it get that way? Here are some interesting facts about the history of diamonds.
1. Diamonds are thought to have first been discovered in India almost 6,000 years ago.
2. The word diamond comes from the Ancient Greek for “unbreakable” or “undamageable.”
3. Scientific experiments have been made possible by diamonds, including turning hydrogen into a metal.
4. The first known diamond engagement ring was given to Mary of Burgundy by Austrian Archduke Maximilian in 1477.
5. Diamonds have been used in ancient religious rituals throughout India and the Asian subcontinent for centuries.